This database focuses on technology. So if the company you are searching for is in the energy or pharmaceutical industry and so on, try this database first.
1. Click on 'Search'
2. Click on the magnifying glass to bring up the Advanced Search feature.
3. Insert relevant search terms into the fields and search.
4. After searching, you can choose to limit the results to specific industries. The filters are on the right-hand side of the screen. In the example, the search term used was SMRT, therefore, the Industry Filter chosen is 'Automotive & Transportation'.
BSP is not specifically a market research database but has quite a number of Industry Profiles that give market information. In our case of SMRT, this is the ideal place to get a profile of the transport scene in Singapore.
1. At the search screen, enter SMRT and change "Select a field" to "CO Company Entity".
2. At the results page, on the left frame, look for Source Types. Click on the Industry Profiles check box.
Passport is the first place to search for consumer products. Asian markets are fairly well-covered.
1. You can do a simple search by entering the keywords on the top right of the page. Alternatively, you may browse through the various categories or search for statistics using their search dashboard.
Their user guide can be found here.
Q1. What happens if you selected a NGO? How do you track "competition"?
You would need to compare your NGO with a similar NGO. "Similar" is kind of difficult to define.
You may want to try comparing according to the issue you are tracking. So if you have selected the issue of deforestation, then, perhaps you could compare the selected NGO with a NGO which has been on the news pursuing the deforestation issue.
Q2. What if you selected China?
Again, consider comparing China with another Asian country facing a similar issue.
Q3. How does one "compare"?
You would need to run similar searches in Factiva to check the media responses. For eg. if you are comparing the issue of Internet censorship in China with Malaysia, you would search like this:
china and internet and censorship
malaysia and internet and censorship