Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Historical Newspaper Databases
Proquest Historical Newspapers
Searchable and browsable facsimiles of the New York Times (1851-2006), the Wall Street Journal (1889-1995), the Chicago Tribune (1849-1989), The Chicago Defender (1910-1975), the Washington Post (1877-1996), and Los Angeles Times (1881-1989), The Guardian (1821-2003), The Observer (1791-2003), and The Times of India (1838-2003).
Searchable content from The Economist (1843-2009), The Financial Times (1888-2009), The Sunday Times (1822-2006), The Times (1785-1985) and the Times Literary Supplement (1902-2008).
Online resources of current and historic newspapers from Singapore and Malaysia, including Straits Times. Coverage is from 1831-2009.
Eighteenth century journals : a portal to newspapers and periodicals, c1685-1815.
Portal to newspapers and periodicals (1685-1815) that offers integrated access to the Hope Collection at the Bodleian Library, Oxford and the Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center University of Texas. It brings together rare journals, illuminating all aspects of eighteenth-century social, political and literary life.
17th-18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers
The newspapers, pamphlets, and books gathered by the Reverend Charles Burney (1757-1817) represent the largest and most comprehensive collection of early English news media. The present digital collection, that helps chart the development of the concept of ‘news’ and ‘newspapers’ and the “free press,” totals almost 1 million pages and contains approximately 1,270 titles. Many of the Burney newspapers are well known, but many pamphlets and broadsides also included have remained largely hidden.
19th Century British Library Newspapers
Full runs of national, regional and local 19th century British newspapers, taken directly from the extensive holdings of the British Library. The content includes 48 titles, totalling approximately 2.2 million pages, selected to reflect the social and political developments of the times in which they were published.
A catalog of digital historical newspapers, this resource facilitates the discovery of online digitized historical newspaper content from newspapers published in the United States and the Caribbean. It currently links to over 1,500 full-text newspaper titles.
Lantern: Media History Digital Catalog
The Media History Digital Library (MHDL) digitizes collections of classic media periodicals that belong in the public domain for full public access. The corpus of this source is large as the copyright of many media industry, fan, and technical publications were not renewed, and those pre-1964 works are now in the public domain. Contains over 800,000 pages of material.
Searches opinion pieces and editorials from across the political spectrum. Full text available from The Nation, Commentary, NACLA, and The New Republic. Also indexes American Spectator, Commonweal, Harper's Magazine, The National Review, and The New York Review of Books.
Chronicling America:Historic American Newspapers
This freely available resource from the Library of Congress contains 6.5 million pages of material from 32 states from 1836-1922. Many of these newspapers are smaller, local periodicals.
America's Historical Newspapers
This historical newspaper database chronicles the evolution of American culture and daily life from 1690 to 1820 through thousands of newspapers from the United States.
Historical newspapers : Singapore
Information courtesy of NUS Libraries
Newspapers available in NUS Libraries
- Pre-war Singapore newspapers
- Digitized newspapers: Cheng Nam Jit Poh (1913-1920), Chong Shing Yit Pao (1907-1910) , Jit Shin Pau (1899-1901), Lat Pau (1887-1932), Sin Kok Min Jit Pao (1919-1933) , Sing Po (1890-1898), The Sun-Poo (1909-1910), The Union Times (1908-1946), Thien Nam Shin Pao (1898-1905).
- More information available at NUS Libraries > Resources > Library Initiatives > Digitized Collections
- Other Singapore newspapers:
- kept by Chinese Library
- in microform collection: Search LINC for our collection of newspapers in microform.
- Press Clippings
- Articles on Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei and ASEAN from The Straits Times and Business Times are arranged by broad subjects.
- It was started as early as 1957.
- Search “Press Clippings collection” into the catalogue – LINC
Newspapers available free online or in other libraries
- NewspapersSG is an online resource of current and historic Singapore and Malaya newspapers created by the National Library Board.
- You can search newspapers (including Straits Times) but can access selected full-text (e.g., Straits Times 1845-1989).
- For recent articles use Factiva (above).
- NLB microfilm collection
- National Library Board collection of microfilms also contains newspapers.
- Jawi Transliteration Project, 1930-41
- Jawi-script newspaper and magazine articles published between 1930-1941 in the Straits Settlements and the Malay Peninsula, transliterated into romanised Malay.
- Hosted by the Northern Illinois University Library.
Chinese Newpapers published in Singapore
Chinese Newspapers published in Malaya/Malaysia